Right now I am so unhappy

Dh just sent me an email from the company comptroller. Some almighty great bean counter decided that they would change the company payment schedule from every two weeks to twice a month. Starting THIS Friday. It’s not even a regular pay schedule type pay day like the 1st and the 15th or the 5th and the 20th like most companies. It’s a week after the 1st and the 15th—what a weird schedule. So instead of getting paid the 4th, 18th, and 1st the next three paydays as was scheduled we will get paid the 4th, the 22 and the 7th! Then it will be a week after the 1st and the 15th every pay day after that UNLESS that day falls on a weekend, then the gap between will be even bigger. Meaning we are now on a slightly variable income schedule to further complicate our budget.
You all know how close I have my budget set. Our bills are due and all would have been covered in full with a little extra going to BOA IF they hadn’t changed the schedule:
The house and small bills like insurance on the 5th auto draft on all of them
The Heloc is due the 15th auto draft–
All the unsecured debt is due the 18th-2lst, except for 1 cc and it’s due the 27th.
All our utilities that we pay a share of (ds pays most of the utilities and 1/3 of the others) are due the 15th

This means with the new payment schedule we will be LATE with every single bill except that one charge card—Best Buy!!! Not to mention there will be NO bonus payment to BOA. It also means if I don’t get the money in there from goodness knows where before the auto drafts hit we will go into to the over draft, thus costing us a bunch of money. I am simply coming undone at the seams right now. If they had told us this back with the Christmas bonus I would have held on to that and used it to keep current and then once the wrinkles were all ironed out paid off the two bills. But that money is gone, the debts are paid off. I’ve got my bef, and ds says he has some money he can loan us, this of course screws him on the bills he paus but I’m going to have to probably hit the broker for a withdrawal IF there is anything in the money market account right now (we just made a big mutual fund buy)–luckily we are old enough we can do that without penalty. Just to cover the bills on time. But that really screws with our retirement money too. Most of the employees don’t have that option so there will be ones in worse shape than us.
I am so upset that they gave us a TWO DAY notice on this and if I’m upset I can guarantee you 99.99% of the company is too. Only those who have known this change was in the works will be prepared for it. And everyone, whether they use a formal budget or not pays their bills to at least a semi set schedule. I simply cannot believe they didn’t warn us all ahead of time so we could adjust our budgets for the first of the year!
Well at least we aren’t going over the fiscal cliff too—or are we?

Well I spent part of yesterday and all this morning with spreadsheets

calculators and all sorts of number toys playing with numbers.
On top of the change in pay dates, the up in ss I discovered that according to SS the payoff I did on dh is now is suddenly $80 more and they want it now. Oh and it seems dh went over the allotted budget for my birthday without warning me, by more than would be considered comfortable. Love the man for caring but…. So with all the ‘extras’ coming out, and having to basically pay 1 ½ month’s bills with a one month income it looks like we are short about $3500. Dh is going to call the broker on that large amount. Ds could possibly cover most of it for us, but that’s not fair to him and it’s borrowing money from family—you know what DR says about that.
Then dh just called me and asked what I’d like to know about this date switch—I told him I only had one question “Why weren’t we warned so we could adjust our budgets ahead of time with no stress?” After all the owner has been following the DR plan himself for their personal and business budgets, he KNOWS about zero based budgets and he knows us and a few others in the company are on them. Then I asked him why he wanted to know. It seems they are having a company wide meeting on it today because so many people are in worse shape than we are about this big switch with no warning. Both he and ds said there were a lot of rumors flying today and a whole lot of grumbling going on. I warned both of them to stay above the fray, the one thing I know about this owner. If you are a trouble maker or a chronic complainer, you are GONE! And everyone else left at the company gets another round of lessons on violence in the workplace. The owner is terrified of stuff like that. I’ll be curious to see what comes out of it.
I told him I pretty well figured that it is because it will save the company money on doing payroll, and they are getting hit from all sides with the fiscal cliff mess because Capitol Hill can’t do its job properly and on time but can certainly give themselves pay raises. That is all understandable on the company’s part, but the no warning isn’t.
Like ds said last night, better for them to cut some costs than cut some jobs.
I doubt anything productive will come of the meeting, but I told dh to hold off on calling the broker until we see what they say, just in case.